RE-Affirming Self-Evident Truths By Grace Lee Boggs
LFC RE-Affirming Self-Evident Truths
By Grace Lee Boggs
June 24-30. 2012
At this time on the clock of the world, when another 911 is possible because military operations by our government, and especially remotely-controlled drones, have killed countless men, women and children in the Muslim world:
We need to RE-Visit, RE-Affirm and Act on the Self-Evident Truths in the 1776 Declaration of Independence:
• That all men (and women) are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights; that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness;
• That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,
• That when any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundations on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
• Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.
• Prudence now challenges us to talk to our families, our neighbors, and our friends, in our communities, our congregations and our workplaces, and explore together whether for the sake not only of the Happiness, Humanity and Safety of people in the Muslim world but for our own Happiness, Humanity and Safety, the time has come for us to alter or abolish the forms of governance to which we have become accustomed.
• This is our challenge and our opportunity to take democracy to a new and more participatory level, towards Self-Government by the people, of the people, for the people.